Breakfast Burritos - flour tortillas filled with scrambled eggs, cheese, meat, couscous or potatoes. Worth the weight!
Servings: Makes four breakfast burritos
Measure powdered eggs and couscous (or hash browns) into separate zip lock bags that are big enough for water reconstitution.
If using precooked bacon, cook the bacon crispy, drain well, and put into zip-lock bag.
On the Trail:
1. Add 1/2 cup cold water to eggs, mix well, and set aside.
2. Boil 1/2 cup water for couscous. Add to bag, mix, and set aside in cozy. If using hash browns, be gentle while reconstituting - they can fall apart.
3. Cube SPAM and fry in frying pan or flat pot until well browned and crispy.
4. Add eggs and cook partially.
5. While egg/SPAM mixture is still "wet", add couscous or reconstituted hash browns and complete cooking, stirring to mix well.
6. Flatten cooked mixture and place 2 cheese sticks, split lengthwise, onto mixture and allow to melt.
7. While cheese is melting, heat tortillas over stove or camp fire.
8. Divide mixture into quarters, and put on top of tortillas.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Fold tortillas to hold mixture and eat. Fold bottom up 1/4 way, then fold left and then right sides.
11. For really soft and yummy breakfast burritos, let them sit covered for a minute or two to self-steam.
Due to the moist tortillas and SPAM, this meal is heavy in the backpack. It is hearty and very tasty, so I always fit this into my trips despite the weight. For hungry people, serving size is TWO burritos. You can serve one per person, but they will want more!
Return to Your Best Backpacking Recipes.