Clam Sauce Fettuccine
Submitted by Mephistus, Casper, WY
- 1 Small Can Clams
- ½ lb. Fettuccine Noodles
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- Dash Red Pepper
- 2 Packets Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ½ Onion, Diced
- 1 Package Alfredo Sauce (dried)
- 4-6 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tbsp Powdered Milk
- 2 sq. ft. Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
Mix oregano, basil and red pepper in small ziplock, drop in unpeeled garlic. Mix Alfredo sauce, Parmesan cheese and powdered milk in another ziplock. Break fettuccine noodles in half and place in another ziplock.
On the Trail:
- Start fettuccine noodles boiling.
- Make a round hoop out of a pliable willow limb about 1 foot in diameter.
- Place minced garlic, minced onion, spices, clams with juice and olive oil in center of tin foil. Fold into a spacious envelope. Wrap the top of tin foil envelope around a small section of the willow hoop. This is now your saute pan with handle.
- Gently saute clams and spices over coals or fire until done.
- When noodles are almost done, add sauce/cheese/powdered milk mix assuring there is enough water to make a sauce. When sauce thickens sufficiently, add sauteed clams, lemon juice and START WATCHING FOR BEARS!
Additional Comments or Suggestions:
You can use shrimp instead of clams if preferred.
I made this up on the Thorofare in NW Wyoming once and had a BIG (judging by his sign) Grizzly snoop around the tent in the wee hours. Never saw/heard him just saw his sign the next morning. And YES, I had washed my dishes well and had hung them and food in a bag far from camp....probably could smell my breath!!
Chef Glenn's Comments:
Great idea to make a saute pan out of heavy duty aluminum foil and a hooped pliable limb.
Return to Your Recipes