Menu Planning & Food Drying Workbook
The Menu Planning & Food Drying Workbook provides printable worksheets and recipe cards that will help you review and customize recipes, plan a menu, and estimate how much food to purchase and dry for your trips.
A great planning tool to use with Recipes for Adventure!
Special Offer: Get the Workbook for only $2.95 when you buy it with Recipes for Adventure.
To purchase the Workbook and Recipes for Adventure (e-book) together ($2.95 + $14.95 = $17.90, a $5 savings), click the "Add to Cart" button at left.
If you own the Print Edition of Recipes for Adventure, and you want to buy the Workbook for $2.95, please enter your discount code.
- Turn to page 95 of the Print Edition of Recipes for Adventure.
- There is one photo caption on that page.
- Use the first word in that photo caption as your discount code.
- Click "Add to Cart" below and enter the discount code on the page that opens. Update the cart after entering the discount code.
You can also use the cart button at left to buy the Workbook by itself for $7.95.
Note: The Print Edition of Recipes for Adventure is available for purchase at Amazon.
Click to View Instruction Pages & Sample Food Drying Worksheets
8 Steps to Successfully Plan & Dry Your Backpacking Meals
- Write down your Trip Itinerary – the distance you plan to cover daily and how many days of meals you will need.
- Review the Quick-Reference Recipe Cards and choose the breakfast, lunch,
dinner, side, dessert and snack recipes you want to prepare for your
- Write down your meal selections on the Trip Menu Planning Worksheet.
- Refer back to the Quick-Reference Recipe Cards and total up all the
dried food ingredients from the recipes using the Food Drying Estimator
Worksheets. After you tally up your entries, you will know much dried
ground beef, tomato sauce leather, dried corn, etc. you will need for
the recipes you have chosen.
- Continuing with the Food Drying Estimator Worksheets, compare how much
dried food you need to the yield estimates of commonly purchased units
of food provided to estimate how much of each food to purchase and dry.
Use the completed form as a shopping list when you go to the store.
- Dry the food, utilizing all trays of the dehydrator whenever possible
for maximum efficiency and time savings. Similar foods such as peas,
corn and green beans may be dried at the same time.
- After your food ingredients are dried, refer back to your menu and
recipe cards to combine the dried foods into bagged meals. You can even
cut out and enclose the recipe cards with the meals since they include
cooking instructions and the amount of water required.
- Organize the meals and snacks into daily rations which can be bagged
together or vacuum sealed for maximum food security and tight packing.
Customize the Worksheets & Recipe Cards
Most of the food items you will need and the estimated yields are listed in the Food Drying Estimator Worksheets, but extra blank rows are included so you can add more.
The Recipe Cards also have blank rows so you can vary the ingredients and there is a blank column to write down the serving size for two or more people.
Extra blank worksheets and recipe cards allow you to add even more notes and recipes.
Return to Top of Page to Order the Menu Planning & Food Drying Workbook