Backpacking Food for the Soul
Pull up a stump.
We’re talking backpacking food.
What smells so good in that pot? That’s my Rockin’ Root Stew boiling up… yams, parsnips, turnips, and rutabaga with a dash of curry and cinnamon. Try some.
That pot in the photo belonged to my grandpa. When I was a boy, grandpa took me along on fishing trips to the Eastern Canadian wilderness and showed me how to fillet a walleye without cutting my fingers off. When grandpa passed on, I inherited his pots, fishing gear, a sharp knife, an old Bible, and a passion for wild places and good grub.
What’s your story? Does your passion for communing with nature persuade you to strap on a pack, walk for days and miles, and cook like a hobo over a flaming tuna fish can? If so, then you’ve found the right place. Grab your spoon and come on in.
At BackpackingChef.com, we explore new methods of cooking backpacking food while honoring the tried and true. You’ll find backpacking recipes with step-by-step instructions and photos, and a wealth of information about how to dehydrate backpacking food.
I’ll help you pack light-weight backpacking meals without skimping on nutrition and flavor. Going on an overnight hike? Fix yourself some Kickin’ Veggie Mac and Cheese for supper, Grahma Nanna Nilla Pudding for dessert, and Pizza Grits Supreme for breakfast. Toss in three dehydrated apples and you’re still packing less than ten ounces.
By carrying light and easy-to-cook food, you’ll eat well and have more time to pursue your true hunger… feeding your soul with a walk in the woods.
Follow your hunger,
P.S. Stop by after your next hike… I’ll be cooking up more recipes for you.
- Recipes for Adventure
- Recipes for Adventure - Chef Glenn's e-book, 250 pages with over 200 photos. The ultimate resource to learn how to dehydrate food for backpacking meals.
- Trail Bytes
- Trail Bytes. Sign up for Chef Glenn's free newsletter or submit a photo for the cover..
- Dehydrated Vegetables & Freeze Dried Meat
- Sources for dehydrated vegetables and freeze dried meat to use in backpacking recipes.
- Tasty Backpacking Recipes
- Explore Chef Glenn’s backpacking recipes before you hit the trail. From Rockin’ Root Stew to Bean Bark Soup, you’ll find lots of ideas for backpacking meals.
- Backpacking Food Ideas for Lunch
- View and Share Backpacking Food Ideas for Lunch. Some like it hot, some like it cold.
- Backpacking Foods
- Ideas for backpacking foods from Chef Glenn start with high-energy breakfast recipes. Stop popping tarts and eat some real food. Homemade backpacking meals are healthier and taste better.
- Dehydrated Food Recipes
- Dehydrated Food Recipes - Make Soup with dried foods. Swiss Mountain Man Soup, Georgia Good 'Ole Boy Soup
- Backpacking Recipe
- Need a backpacking recipe for dessert? Chef Glenn shares his secrets for making Peach Cobbler, Mud Pie, Banana Nut Bread Pudding, and Appalachian Apple Pie. Find supper recipes, too.
- Best Backpacking Recipes
- Best Backpacking Recipes submitted by readers of BackpackingChef.com.
- Dehydrating Food
- Dehydrating food is easy. Chef Glenn shows how to dehydrate vegetables, fruits, and meat.
- Choosing a Food Dehydrator
- Which Food Dehydrator is best? Chef Glenn compares Nesco, L'Equip, and Excalibur Dehydrators.
- Food Dehydrator Recipes
- Try these food dehydrator recipes for mashed potatoes, bean bark stew, pumpkin pie, and more. Learn how to make Bark and homemade potato chips.
- Basic Backpacking Menu Planning
- Chef Glenn’s Backpacking Menu shows how to create tasty meals with interchangeable meats, vegetables, and starches that cook up in a small pot with ½ ounce of fuel.
- Vacuum Seal Bags
- Vacuum seal bags protect daily food rations and keep your organized..
- Backpacking Cookware
- Backpacking Cookware: Chef Glenn's Collection
- Backpacking Stoves
- My backpacking stoves are light-weight and fuel efficient. I use an alcohol stove and candle stove at the same time.
- Appalachian Trail Journals
- Chef Glenn's Appalachian Trail Journals. Read what the Chef cooks up while hiking the Appalachian Trail.
- Contact Chef Glenn
- Contact Chef Glenn
- Backpacking Food Blog
- The Backpacking Food Blog lets you know what's new at BackpackingChef.com