Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Shared by Scottpash from Chicago, Illinois
Scottpash's Chicken and Dumplings recipe uses the "Squeeze Bag" method to make the dumplings.
- 1 Pouch Chicken or (4 oz. Dehydrated Chicken)
- 3 Tbsp. Dried Mixed Vegetables
- 1 tsp Soup Base or 1/2 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Whole Egg Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Dry Milk Powder
- Salt, Pepper, Poultry Seasonings etc. to taste
Dumpling Mix: Combine flour, dried egg powder, dried milk powder, salt, pepper and seasonings to taste in a small Ziploc bag.
Soup Mix: Combine dried mixed vegetables, soup base and seasonings in a separate Ziploc bag. If using dehydrated chicken, add it to this bag.
On the Trail:
- Add 11/2 cups of water to a pot along with vegetables and soup base mix.
- Add chicken from pouch, can or dehydrated chicken.
- Bring water to boil.
- Add enough water, about 1/4 cup, to dumpling bag to make a thick dough similar to pancake mix by squishing the contents around inside the Ziploc bag.
- Cut a small slit in corner of bag and squeeze small amounts of dumpling dough into the boiling liquid.
- Allow to boil an additional minute or two.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes.
Add any vegetables or fresh herbs you like to this chicken and dumplings recipe. I use dehydrated mixed veggies just because they are easy to prepare.
Return to Your Best Backpacking Recipes
Return to Home Page
Return to Top of Page